Road memorial to honor Rock Hill High Principal | Politics
ROCK HILL - Several area lawmakers want to honor long time Principal of Rock Hill High School Eric Lessmeister.
On Thursday, a resolution was submitted in the South Carolina House of Representatives to request the Department of Transportation to name the portion of West Springdale Road in Rock Hill in memory of Eric Lessmeister.
Lessmeister was principal at Rock Hill High for many years before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and forced his retirement. Lessmeister died in December of 2002.
The memorial would be from the intersection of Lesslie Highway to Firetower Road, the section of Springdale Road in front of Rock Hill High School.
Lessmeister coined the phrase "Once a Bearcat, Always a Bearcat" that students and alumni rally around to this day.
The memorial would erect appropriate markers along Springdale Road containing the words "In Memory of Eric Lessmeister, Once a Bearcat, Always a Bearcat."
The resolution was introduced by Representatives Gary Simrill, Tommy Pope, Ralph Norman, John King, Deborah Long, Greg Dellaney, and Dennis Moss.
Upcoming Events near South Carolina
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lockdown lifted at Wingate University after two killed in shooting near campus
- Union County policing itself after DSS worker fired
- Husband, wife die within hours of each other
- Union Co. Commissioners extend settlement offer to Board of Education
- New technology allows pictures, video to be sent to 911 operators